Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Unplanned Trip

I know it has been a really long time since I posted anything, mostly because I didn't have anything to post. Nothing exciting or anything like that happening in my life, that I could post...until last week.

On Monday the 10th of March, I saw I had a voice mail on my phone, I ignored it because I thought it was the stupid car loan people telling me my payment was due, my usual monthly call. I was going to just delete it, but decided to listen to it, I am glad I did.

It was from my sister, which surprised me, because we had just talked. She said that our Uncle Tom had called with some sad news. Now, my grandmother is still alive, she is 92, and lives with my Aunt and Uncle. The first thing that pops in my head is, Oma died, but she went on. She told me that my cousin Thomas, had a heart attack that day and died. I stopped the voice mail, and called her right away.

She had told me that Thomas was in the hospital that weekend with pneumonia, and the doctor released him, and that Monday, he had a heart attack and died. Thomas, was a year younger than I am, so it was a shock.

Thomas and I weren't close, and could not tell you the last time I saw him, but he was family, and anytime anyone from your family dies, it is a shock.

Only one thing crossed my mind, that that was, I need to go see my Aunt and Uncle, in Little Rock. Didn't care how much it cost, or how I was going to do it,I was going to be there.

Now, my mom was the oldest of 4. My mom passed away 13 years ago very suddenly, and that was the last time I saw most of my family. My father died 4 years ago and that was the last time I saw my brother.

So, the ones that are left, are my Aunt Maureen, Thomas' mother, my Aunt Sue, and my Uncle Larry.

I very easily could have said, "I can't afford it", "I can't get the time off of work", or some other excuse, the only thing that was going through my head was, "I need to be there".

So, when I went to work on Tuesday, I told my boss what had happened, and that I needed to be there for my family. I stared looking at flights and prices, after I found out what day the funeral was going to be on, Monday the 17th. I booked my flight for Saturday the 15th and returned on the 18th.

I just looked at the time, I need to get to bed. Plus my hands are getting tired of typing. Just so you know, this will be a long blog entry when I am done.

1 comment:

Karen Tews Lien said...

I'm glad you were able to go. Aunt Sue was so glad to see you and loved spending time with you. It was a big shock and such an untimely death. I have not seen Thomas in so many years either, but he was such a special person and had touched so many lives. I just hope Aunt Maureen can make it through this.

Again, I am so glad you were able to go. Thank you!